What causes painful breast with brown fluid discharge?

Dr. Rhea Chanda

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Women's Health
Question: Hello. I breast fed my last son 15 years ago for 2 years. I had milk production 1 year after I stopped, but now, during ovulation, I have one breast get sore and painful to touch. When I squeezed the nipple, brown fluid came out. No odor. I had a mammogram 4 years ago and it was fine although my breasts are very dense they said. I am now 40. I really do not want another mammogram. What do you think is causing the brownish discharge. Could it just be hormonal?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
mammogram

Detailed Answer:
Hello
I would advise that you get a mammogram or ultrasound of the breast . Brown fluid from the nipple is usually normal . Any lumps etc do need to be ruled out . There may swelling or tenderness during certain times of the cycle . But nipple discharge does need to be ruled out . I would suggest getting the test done to confirm . Examination by a doctor will also help to a point . Hormonal imbalance does cause tenderness but brown discharge is usually not normal . Rule out any lumps first .