What causes painful breast with brown fluid discharge?

Question
Hello. I breast fed my last son 15 years ago for 2 years. I had milk production 1 year after I stopped, but now, during ovulation, I have one breast get sore and painful to touch. When I squeezed the nipple, brown fluid came out. No odor. I had a mammogram 4 years ago and it was fine although my breasts are very dense they said. I am now 40. I really do not want another mammogram. What do you think is causing the brownish discharge. Could it just be hormonal?
Posted Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
mammogram

Detailed Answer:
Hello
I would advise that you get a mammogram or ultrasound of the breast . Brown fluid from the nipple is usually normal . Any lumps etc do need to be ruled out . There may swelling or tenderness during certain times of the cycle . But nipple discharge does need to be ruled out . I would suggest getting the test done to confirm . Examination by a doctor will also help to a point . Hormonal imbalance does cause tenderness but brown discharge is usually not normal . Rule out any lumps first .