What causes painful ankles and cysts with a bone spur on foot

Posted on Wed, 10 Jun 2015 in Accident and Emergency
Question: 30/f Both ankles on top deep pain (8/10pain) hard to walk when it starts , 2 cysts appeared last week along with a bone spur ontop of my foot , I get bad big two pain.

Athlete as a teen, always rolling ankles playing basketball.

Thank you
Jen
Answered by Dr. Sabiha Banu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
painkillers & rest for pain reduction.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for using HCM.

can understand your concern.

Your pain looks more so with related to strain,hyper-use, (as as an athlete),the appearance of cysts, spurs are relatively due to that or due to overweight or ill-fitting footwear, sometimes the spur or the extra-bony structure is insignificant.

some simple pain relieving measures which you can follow:
1.Please see to that you do not stand for long hours, especially in one constant position.
2.keep both your ankles in elevated position at least for 30 ` when you are resting.
3.Use of anklet or crepe-bandage over the foot including the ankle in figure of 8 will reduce the pain & blood circulation.
4.local application of cold compression & topical pain killers will give you timely relief.
5.Pain killers with combination of tramadol (mild opiod prescription medicine) + paracetomol (ultracet) added with pregablin(prescription medicine) will give you good pain relief.

I would suggest you to get tested with serum calcium, uric acid, parathormone levels added with sugar levels, thyroid profile, haemoglobin & vitamin d3 levels.

These tests will rule out for the specific problems.

All the best, take care.

dr sabiha(pain, icu & critical care specialist)

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Sabiha Banu 9 hours later
Sorry for the spelling,
My two big toes hurt at the joints making it difficult to walk . I am not over weight,
When I am resting on the couch sitting or laying down my feet throb and ache without even standing on them.
I tested a positive negative for auto immune about three months ago, I didn't know if that meant it comes and goes in regards to arthritis .
Thanks
Jen
Answered by Dr. Sabiha Banu 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please check out with your uric acid levels

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for following up with hcm.
Pain in the big toes is most of the time specific for gouty arthritis, that's why I was suggesting you for serum uric acid levels.
Throbbing pains on resting can be due to peripheral neuropathy--in alterations with thyroid,calcium,vitamind3 and sugar levels.
Positive/negative tests for auto immune problems sometimes vary with infections, especially viral,hormonal imbalances ,prolonged illness,diabetics, stress,last being false positive tests or technical errors.
Methyl cobalamine supplements,added with ultracet(paracetomol+Tramadol) with gabapentin or pregablin will help in pain control and burning sensation.
You can repeat your autoimmune tests once again after 6 weeks,changing the lab.
Hope I have answered your question.
Wishing you good health and speedy recovery.
All the best,take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Dr. Sabiha Banu

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist