What causes painful and swollen jaw after tooth extraction?
Post extraction symptoms, Refered pain .
Thanks for consulting Healthcare magic .
This is Dr. Priyanka Tiwari answering your query .
Read your query and understand your concern as you have undergone complete extraction and now you have painful and swollen jaw this can be post extraction symptoms . See what happened is after extraction post extraction symptoms are generaly seen which includes pain , swelling , fever , malaise , nausea , earache (refered pain ) . Dont be worried so much shelleymom just relax and follow post extraction instructions .
- Place ice or ice cold water over extraction socket repeatedly.
- Do not spit or gargle .
- Use betadine mouthwash .
- Avoid eating hot and spicy food . Hot water or hot food delay wound healing process .
-Take complete rest.
-Take proper course of Antibiotics like Amoxiclave with metronidazole and analgesic like Zerodol SP or Ketrol DT by consulting with local doctor .
A complete extraction wound healing takes three months but pain go off completely in 3 to 5 days . If symptoms persists aforementioned then there would be chances of broken root stump or dry socket . To rule out this consult oral surgeon for clinical examination, radiograph and get it evaluated .
Hope I have answered your query .
If you have further query I will be happy to help.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Will a tooth extraction cause dizziness
- Tooth extraction cause blindness
- Bad tooth cause swollen lip
- What causes tooth ache with swollen gums
- Tooth extraction caused abortion
- Pain in tooth when touching or eating swollen gum cause
- What causes bump on the gum after tooth extraction
- Acne along jaw line causing tooth pain
- Should wisdom tooth be extracted after it causes decay ?
- What causes severe ear pain after tooth extraction