What causes pain in windpipe while swallowing the saliva?
Likely to be Laryngotracheal reflux
Welcome and thanks for your query.
I understand your concern.
You have a condition called Laryngotracheal Reflux ( LPR)
The main cause is a lax lower esophageal sphincter which leads to reflux of the acid content into the esophagus. Unlike GERD, you would not have symptoms like heart burn in most cases and the main symptoms are usually cough, sore throat, wanting to clear throat frequently and hoarseness.
You can get relief by life style changes like losing weight if you are overweight,quit smoking, if you are a smoker,avoid alcohol,chocolate, mints, fats, citrus fruits, carbonated beverages, spicy food and caffeine.
Stop eating at least three hours before going to bed.
Elevate the head of the bed about 4 to 6 inches.
Avoid wearing tight-fitting clothes around the waist.
You may also require to use medicines like Omeprazole which decrease acid production.
I don't smoke nor am i overweight so what would you say is the cause for this?
It's likely to be due to a lax lower esophageal sphincter, the reason for which may not be clear.
Try the suggestions given before and you are likely to improve.
Wish you good health and a great day.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes pain in chest and stomach while swallowing food
- What could be the cause for throat pain while swallowing
- What causes stringy saliva
- Pain in throat while swallowing saliva
- What causes to swallow saliva that causes headache and nausea
- What causes pain when swallowing
- What cause bloating saliva increase abdominal pain
- What causes pain while swallowing
- Dizziness while swallowing what is causing this
- What causes clicking sound when i swallow my saliva