• question-icon

What causes pain in upper leg, behind the legs and calf pain?

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016 in Elderly Problems
Question: IM HAVING UPPER LEG PAIN IN THE BACK OF MY LEGS.LEG CRAMP PAINMEDICINE FOR THE CALVES DOESNT HELP.SOME DAYS ARE BETTER THAN OTHERS BUT ITS SEAMS TO BE GETTING WORSE.THE PAIN IS WHEN IM STANDING OR WALKING. NO PAIN WHEN SITTING OR LAYING DOWN AT NIGHT.
Answered by Dr. Mukund Savaskar 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Worsening progressive Calf Pain in legs / Under Assessment

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Dear !! Thanks for your query to HCM.
Read and reviewed your health concerns after meticulous study of your complaints.

Please update more information - on duration of pain / severity of pain / whether pain is dull / throbbing / lightening / or Burning with numbness in the legs?

Based on the current information given, your Calf pain is not relieving after getting medicines and the pain comes while standing or walking. Accordingly couple of possibilities that I can think of are:
a-Spinal Canal Stenosis
b-Varicose Veins of the leg

I will recommend you consulting your family doctor and if need be Surgeon or Ortho-Surgeon. You might need X-ray Spine of Lumbar Spine / or CT Contrast Study to find and fix for any Spinal Canal Stenosis and USG(Ultra-Sono-Graphy) with Color Doppler Study of the leg Veins to find and fix any Varicose leg Veins in your case. I will avoid self medication with pain killers.

Further management will be based on the results of the test.

Welcome for any further query and complaint in this regard.

If satisfied with this reply, please express few pleasing feedback comments,to rate this reply,to boost the morale of incoming patients like you at My Virtual -HCM Clinic.

Do feel free to communicate for resolving your health concerns.

Good Day !!

Dr.Savaskar M.N. XXXXXXX Surgical Specialist
M.S.Genl-CVTS

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Mukund Savaskar 1 hour later
I do not have calf leg pain .I have upper leg pain in the back of both of my legs .It is not sciatic nerve pain. It is sometimes lightning pain that hits me when im walking or standing. I do not have pain when I sit or lay down. The pain comes and goes and sometimes its strong enough to interrupt walking . When I sit down it goes away.
Answered by Dr. Mukund Savaskar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need assessment for PAD-Peripheral Arterial Disease !!

Detailed Answer:
Brief Ans-You need assessment for PAD-Peripheral Arterial Disease !!

Hi Dear !! Thanks for the last updates.
Read and Reviewed your updates in context of your health concerns.
Please update since how long you have this pain ?
Does it increase with upstairs walking ?
Any history of Smoking ? and since how long and update on quantity of smoking?
What is your life style? Sedentary job / or active life style?
Update the distance after which you get this lightening pain?

My Impression-
In view of this updated information, you need to rule out the possibility of PAD-as the pain which vanishes on sitting and exaggerates on starting the walking.
You seem to have Claudication pain from blocked leg arteries and needs to be fixed after proper investigation and examination from Vascular Surgeon.

Pain seems to be in upper legs -in thighs as updated from you.
The very submission by you, rules out Venous / and Neural causes of the pain in your legs.

Suggestion-
You need to Consult Vascular Surgeon and investigate properly, before treating at his hands.

Welcome for any further query in this regard.
Would love to help you to resolve the pain issue with your legs.

Good Day !!

M.S.Genl-CVTS.

Follow up: Dr. Mukund Savaskar 7 hours later
You have asked for more imfo. I have never smoked. I am an upholsterer so sit at itmes but also move . I rty to get out nad walk at least every other day. The tighten pain in legs started about 6 months ago and I drank more water stretched more but it has gotten worse. The lightning pain hits meand a step later it goes but can still feel an achey pain most of the time . Yesterday I hurt. Today I can fell it but just walk run up the steps in the house 10 times and no lightning pain hit me even though I was out of breathe.
Answered by Dr. Mukund Savaskar 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Mostly PAD is the cause and needs to be investigated in your case !!

Detailed Answer:
Brief Ans-Mostly PAD is the cause and needs to be investigated in your case !!

Hi Dear !! Thanks for the query updates.
Read and reviewed these updates in context to your health concerns.

Plan to deal with your health issues-

I would suggest you to go for -Consults with Vascular Surgeon and go for peripheral arterial arteriography to rule out or confirm the -Atherosclerotic Thrombosis with blockage of the Femoral and or popliteal arteries.
Thrombolysis with Peripheral catherterisation would be needed to resolve the thrombotic arterial obstruction if need be.

Second opinion from Spine Ortho Surgeon, if needed could be tried to resolve your health issues.CT Spine with Contrast studies would help you in ruling out the Spinal Canal Stenosis, if indicated in your case after ortho-Surgeons assessment.

Its really difficult to opine on your case without much information from your doctor's examination findings, which would make a great difference.

Hope the above reply would help you to plan the treatment with team of doctors there.

Would love You to express few pleasing comments to rate this reply which would boost the incoming patients like you at this Virtual Clinic.

Wishing you fast recovery for you.

Good Day !!

M.S.Genl-CVTS

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. Mukund Savaskar 34 minutes later
Thank you for your time and listening to all my questions? I think you have been very helpful and I truly appreciate your expertise. I will follow through with your advise.
Answered by Dr. Mukund Savaskar 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Welcome in time to come...Thanks !!

Detailed Answer:
Brief Ans-Welcome in time to come...Thanks !!

Hi Dear !! Thanks for your appreciating comments.
last thing to assess -is to work out any diabetes and Lipid profile- which could risk such a atherosclerotic thrombosis in your case.
Don't forget to express pleasing comments from you to rate this reply interaction, which would boost the morale of incoming patients like you.

Welcome for any further query in this regard, after primary investigations from Vascular and Spinal Surgeon.

Would love to help you out of this health issue in time to come.

Good Day !!

M.S.Genl-CVTS

Dr. Mukund Savaskar

General Surgeon