What causes pain in thigh?

Dr. Karl Logan

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have dull aches in my right thigh. It started a weak ago on the side of the right hip and then ached down the medial of the upper right leg. Now the large thigh muscles ache. It is also weaker than my left thigh. As mentioned before I am active..cyclist, gym, pilates.

This feeling is foreign to me..
Answered by Dr. Karl Logan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Spine, hip joint or quadriceps muscle problem

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your question.

Pain in the thigh can be referred from the spine, the hip joint or from the bone and muscle in the thigh itself. A physical examination would indicate to a physician the likely site of the pain which could be further investigated with X-rays of your spine, hip and femur.

The nature of your pain suggests to me that this is more likely a hip joint or thigh muscle problem. If the pain is coming from your hip joint the most common diagnosis at your age would be osteoarthritis of the hip joint. A strain of the quadriceps muscle can also cause such pain, which will likely improve over a period of 2-3 weeks.

Antiinflammatory medciation, physiotherapy, massage may help your symptoms in the interim.

I hope this answers your question.

Best wishes