What causes pain in thigh and legs with impaired ability to walk?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My name is XXXXXXX I am seventy nine years of age. I have pain in my left leg from the thigh always down. When I sit or bend over I can stand or walk for another five or ten minutes before I have to sit again, can you help me?

Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Arthritis / Nerve compression at spine.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Pain in thigh and legs inability to walk for more than 5 to 10 minutes relieved by sitting down indicates likely a nerve compression at lumbosacral spine. You need radiographs and MRI of the spine to localise the compression. Age related articular degeneration and facet joint arthropathies are the likely possibilities.

Talk to your rheumatologist and let them sort out other possibilities like arthritis, musculoskeletal disorders etc and treat you accordingly. YOu will like need stronger analgesia and physiotherapy exercises for the relief.

I hope it helps. take good care of yourself and don't forget to close the discussion please.

regards
Khan