What causes pain in the thigh while crossing the legs?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 1 Sep 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am having pain left leg top of the thigh outer aspect adn stops mid thigh. Extremely painful if I try to sit crossed leg as I do Yoga. I am unable to lay on my left side as it becomes a deep ache. I am 60 years old no other health issues. This began in April and has progressively worsened. Could this be my hip joint?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
As discussed in details below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for you query and an elucidate history.
The pain on the outer aspect of left thigh which stops at mid thigh, increased pain in cross legged position and inability to lay on left side since April indicates a neurological cause like some nerve compression.
This is most probably not the hip joint as even walking would have been painful.
I would advise you the following:
MRI of the lower spine.
An opinion of an Orthopedic and/or Neurologist/Neurosurgeon would be most appropriate to get the correct clinical diagnosis supported by the investigations they would ask for.

I hope this answers your query. Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.