What causes pain in the right upper abdomen after meals?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Fri, 26 Aug 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I do not mean to ask a repetitive question, but it is rather worrisome.

Nearly everytime I eat something (often items that arent low in sugar or fat), I get a dull or sometimes sharp ache on the right side either directly behind or just under the central last rib (that will occassionally go thru to my back). One would say that high sugar or fat foods would be the cause but everytime seems excessive for a 29 year old that doesnt drink alcohol (hinting at the liver).

I have an appointment with a Gastroenterologist soon but I just want to rule out kidney, liver, or any other organ failure. Ive had a ct and blood work done and they only found fatty liver (which a previous doctor told me wouldnt cause this symptom. Sorry for the long post.

Thank you so much,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is important to do an ultrasound scan and rule out gall bladder problems

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

Though CT scan is a good investigation to have a detailed evaluation of the abdominal organs, an ultrasound scan is also required to know about the gall bladder and if there are any stones in it.

Stones in the gall bladder can be invisible on CT scan and therefore you can discuss with your doctor if there is a minor possibility of gall bladder stones which requires to be confirmed on ultrasound scan.

Pain in the right upper abdomen after meals can happen if there is sludge or small stones in the gall bladder. If is important to rule out any cause in the gall bladder region which might cause your symptoms.

Hope your query is answered.
Please do write back if you have any doubts.

Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 2 minutes later
But what if I no longer have my gallbladder (was removed 10 years sgo)?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Post gall bladder surgery symptoms can persist for years in some patients

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back with an update.

In the case where gall bladder is removed, such symptoms are known to happen usually in the immediate period after surgery. However this stops in few weeks to months. In some patients however, such symptoms can continue for years and it is possible that your symptoms are due to this reason.

Even in the case of gall bladder surgery done many years back, it is good to get an ultrasound scan to know if there is any minor biliary obstruction.

Hope your query is answered.

Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 1 minute later
Ah gotcha. So you wouldnt rule this as anything life threatening or immediate? Last uestion. I promise.
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is no emergency situation in your case

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back with an update.

If your CT scan is normal other than fatty liver then there is no life threatening or immediate problems for you. For peace of mind you can get an ultrasound scan abdomen done so that we are certain that your biliary passages are not having any obstruction, though any significant obstruction can be seen on CT scan.

Hope your query is answered.

Right on. Thank you so much doctor
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thanks for sending your query and do write back with more queries

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for sending in your query.

Please do write back if you have any other health related queries.