What causes pain in the right arm radiating to the back?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 11 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have some pain under my right arm that seems to radiate a bit from front to back (lower part of my right pectoral around to a small portion of my back on the right side). No redness, heat or anything visible, nor can I detect much if any swelling. It started several days ago (5 or 6) and while it doesn't seem to be getting much worse it doesn't seem to be getting any better. No severe pain only moderate discomfort and a little bit stinging.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Muscle sprain likely.

Detailed Answer:
The pain under the right arm that radiates to the back is likely to be a muscular pain. it can happen due to a muscle tear or sprain due to overstretching in the area. it needs proper rest to heal. You can do a hot compress twice a day and take a mild pain killer. Avoid all painful movements and overhead activities. it is likely to heal in next 4-6 weeks.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 11 minutes later
I'm a pretty active person and this doesn't feel like a muscle strain. There's no additional pain with movement and lifting my arm overhead actually relieves the discomfort to some degree. I've also been feeling overall like I'm fighting something and I recently (two weeks ago) got over a head cold, any other thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to fatigue.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Cold is not related to pain in specific region. Viral illness can cause a generalised muscle pain and weakness for few weeks. This can be a muscular fatigue caused by fluid and electrolyte imbalance or improper posture or over exertion.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.