• question-icon

What causes pain in the leg while walking?

Posted on Sat, 1 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: The doctors cannot find out what is causing my pain. I have been tested for Rheumatoid, and many other causes but it comes back negative. The Rheumatoid doctor turned me over to the Neurologist who prescribed prednisone. My primary doctor wants me to go to the XXXXXXX Clinic for a full workup before I go on Prednisone for long turn. The 10mg of Prednisone worked for a while but it is not taking care of the pain in arising or walking. This pain and weakness has been coming on me for at least 10 years but now it is debilitating.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need to be evaluated for an inflammatory muscle disease.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query.

I am Dr. Sudhir Kumar, Neurologist, and I would try my best to help you.

I have noted your clinical details. Based on this, we need to exclude a primary muscle disease such as polymyositis (inflammation of muscles). This would require a blood test (serum CPK), EMG (electromyography) and biopsy of muscles.

Prednisolone is useful for treating inflammatory muscle disease and it is safe. If the disease is confirmed, you may require a higher dose of Prednisolone and additional medicines.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow-up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 28 minutes later
I have been tested for polymyositis with blood work but the result show no need to do the biopsy. I have had all the blood work and nothing is abnormal. I am glad to hear that prednisone will not hurt me but how much is to much?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The usual safe dose of prednisolone is 1 mg per kg body weight.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back with more information.

In some patients, blood tests may be normal, however, muscle biopsy shows the disease. In any case, it can be decided after the EMG. If the biopsy is planned, prednisolone should be stopped for some time, as it would mask the biopsy findings.

The usual safe long-term dose of prednisolone is 1 mg per kg body weight per day.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist