What causes pain in the gluteal muscles?

Dr. Geeta Sundar

Posted on Tue, 14 Mar 2017 in Elderly Problems
Question: I am a nurse and have been experiencing moderate pain in the I GUI although area on the right side. No urinary tract symptoms. If I squeeze my gluteal muscles I have pain on the right gluteal area. Also squatting I can replicate the same discomfort. No bowel issues. Some constipation issues from time to time. What could be going on do you think. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
pain in gluteal region with local tenderness can be due to various reasons

Detailed Answer:
Hi, an isolated pain in right gluteal region with local tenderness can be due to various reasons.
Is there any local discoloration or swelling?--furuncle(boil)/infected sebaceous cyst/deep vein thrombosis?
Did you sit down with a thump?--hematoma?
Did you take an injection there in recent past?abscess?
Is the pain increasing or radiating from spine--root pain?
Please answer my queries. Meanwhile take Ibuprofen 400 twice with Omeprazole twice.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana