What causes pain in tailbone in a young adult?

Dr. Harish Naik

Posted on Tue, 30 Aug 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi Doctor,

I am 25 years old, i have pain in my tail bone due to masturbation ,as i am doing masturbation daily from past one month. i am unnable to sit on my bike and on my chair ,i am unnable to work in office due to this pain .can you please suggest me what might be the cause is it natural every men will get this pain or i am only seeing this pain in my spinal back tail bone (near to ass hole).

Thanks,
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Coccydynia, needs further evaluation

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX
Welcome.
I have gone through your query.
Based on the information, your symptom that is pain in the tail bone is not likely to be related to the masturbation.

Your symptoms are suggestive of coccydynia that is inflammation of the bony area (tailbone or coccyx) located between the buttocks. Coccydynia is associated with pain and tenderness at the tip of the tailbone between the buttocks. The pain is often worsened by sitting.

Coccydynia is often caused by an injury, but it may occur seemingly spontaneously. Coccydynia is commonly diagnosed based solely on the symptoms and the examination findings of local tenderness.

An X-ray and MRI of the area will help in identifying the exact cause of your problem and to rule out any joint displacement or fracture. Consulting an Orthopedician will be helpful. Treatment usually involves mild pain killers and hot fomentation to relieve the local inflammation. In case the symptoms are persistent then local steroid injections and surgery might be needed.

You can follow these lifestyle modifications for some relief:
Eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables, this will avoid constipation and pain while passing stools.
Apply heat pads to the tailbone area for 15-20 minutes, 4 times a day.
Use a "doughnut" cushion or pillow to sit on.
Avoid sitting for long periods of time. When seated, sit on hard surfaces and alternate sitting on each side of the buttocks. Also, lean forward and direct your weight away from the tailbone.
Hope this helps
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T