What causes pain in right shoulder and neck?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I have been having pain in my right shoulder/neck. When I apply pressure to the back side of my shoulder, it feels like there's knots and is very painful. This has been going on for over a month. Within the last week or so I have been experiencing tingling and numbness from my shoulder down to my hand and fingers, almost like the feeling of when your foot falls asleep. At first, it kind of felt like a pinched nerve, but it's been starting to hurt worse.
Posted Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Compression of nerve in cervical [neck area] spine

Detailed Answer:

According to your symptoms it looks like there is compression of nerve in cervical [neck area] spine. This leads to numbness and tingling in your hand.

You may need to take MRI spine to see for severity of nerve compression. I would treat you with medication like methylcobalamine with muscle relaxant and analgesic. Your treating doctor will know about them.

Some exercises which can be done after pain has reduced include- gradual neck rotation, touching your ears to shoulder, shoulder shrugging exercises. I will urge you to start these exercise once you feel the pain is better. You may consult physiotherapist for further guidance. He may start INTERFERENCE THERAPY, ULTRASONIC THERAPY, which are helpful in your case.

Besides that I suggest life style modifications for you – Take break every 40 min from computer and do some neck rotation, stretches, walk and get back to work. Sit with taking support to your neck, do not use thick pillow in bed.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Follow-up: What causes pain in right shoulder and neck? 23 minutes later
Are there any risks associated with not seeing a doctor and hoping that these stretches will solve the issue? Is it possible there could be something else going on?

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
consult a doctor for physical examination

Detailed Answer:

I advice you to consult a doctor for physical examination. You may get the MRI of the spine to access the severity of nerve compression under his/her guidance. Management depends upon severity of nerve compression.