What causes pain in lower legs every morning and knots in lower spine?

Dr. Dariush Saghafi

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have knots in my lower spine. I get pain in my lower legs in rhe morning after I wake
Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please explain the meaning of Knossos as you are using it

Detailed Answer:
Good afternoon. I am a neurologist from OHIO and would love to VISIT KNOSSOS some day as the center of Minoan civilization and capital of Minoan Crete for over 2 millenia....but I'm afraid I've not a clue what anybody would mean by telling you that you suffered from or with KNOSSOS if your complaint were "knots in the back?" Sounds like you have some type of muscle spasm condition or perhaps arthritic condition of the lower spine and upon awakening. However, without more information from your end to begin with I'm not sure how much or how little to tell you.

You should have your primary doctor take a look at you to determine which specialist might be best to take a look at you and make some recommendations for a workup. For example, I see patients with your symptoms all the time because the thought of the referring physician is that there is some type of neurological problem either with pinched or cramped nerve roots that when irritated cause cramping, pain, stiffness, and intense spasms. But of course, these symptoms could be caused by metabolic problems including but not limited to electrolyte disturbances, dehydration, diabetes mellitus, thyroid disease, or toxic effects from medications and/or other types of drugs. Therefore, getting full lab studies performed is likely essential in your case.

There may be rheumatological considerations to deal with in a presentation such as yours including things such as ankylosing spondylitis, rheumatoid arthritis, or just simple and plain old OSTEOARTHRITIS due to overuse, trauma, or factors having to do with overpressuring or overburdening the spinal column either by factors of weight/obesity vs. scoliosis or kyphosis which turn out to be orthopedic types of issues.

And so, I hope you can appreciate that the spectrum of disorders that you may be suffering from is quite extensive and in order to better help you or to be given a little direction I would need to know:

1. The definition of KNOSSOS in the medical sense of things

2. More clinical information on your condition, what's been done to work things up, imaging studies such as x-rays, CT scans, or MRI's, and medications you may have tried or are currently taking for the condition.

3. Is there a family history of anything similar and has this problem been defined in terms of exactly which system appears to be most involved such as neurological, rheumatological, orthopedic, or metabolic.

I hope these suggestions satisfactorily address your question and give some additional information you can discuss with your doctor on how to attack this problem. If so, may I ask your favor of a HIGH STAR RATING with some written feedback?

Also, if there are no other comments, may I ask you not forget to CLOSE THE QUERY on your end so the question can be transacted and archived for further reference by colleagues as necessary?

You are invited to direct more comments or inquiries to me in the future by going to my web address at:

bit.ly/drdariushsaghafi

I would be honored to answer you quickly and comprehensively.

Please keep me informed as to the outcome of your situation.

The query has required a total of 23 minutes of physician specific time to read, research, and compile a return envoy to the patient.