What causes pain in chest and jaw post treatment for kidney stones?

Dr. Krunal Karade

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 9 Sep 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Had a ESWL for a right kidney stone yesterday. After the procedure I complaint of chest pain and jaw pain with nausea. The anesthesiologist said the chest pain is from the impact of the shock waves. The chest pain went away but the jaw pain continued. I went home and had some soup. I had difficulty swallowing the soup like I was choking. My gag reflex was very slow. The next morning my jaw and upper neck was very tender and swollen. My breathing was fine. The anesthesiologist said she was going to use a short tube for the anesthesia. Could it have damaged any tissue around my throat area? Should I see my regular doctor or the urologist for this problem?
Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Throat discomfort is common after surgery under GA

Detailed Answer:
Hi ,
Thanks for query.

I have read your query & as I understand you had a general anaesthesia with intubation during ESWL.

In my opinion , chest pain is because of impact of the shock waves .

Throat discomfort like jaw pain , difficulty in swallowing , slow gag reflex & upper neck swelling with tenderness is common after surgery under general anesthesia ( GA ) due to intubation. Intubation is a medical procedure in which a short tube is placed into the wind pipe ( trachea ) through mouth for breathing. And minor trauma can occurs during intubation procedure.

I would advice , use antiseptic mouth wash twice daily & continue ibuprofen with antibiotic.
If you don't get relief with in 2 days , consult ENT specialist for throat examination .

Hope this information is helpful .

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad