What causes pain from back side of left ear?

Dr. Praveen K Nath

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi Doctor, Since few days I have pain from back side of left ear and the pain move up ward direction and below as well through neck and left hand side. Can you suggest what should to done immediately.
Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
? CERVICAL PAIN . NEEDS INVESTIGATION

Detailed Answer:
DEAR MR XXXXXXX
HELLO
My best wishes for a speedy recovery .
I have gone through your medical history in detail .
You have left retromastoid pain radiating down to neck & over the head .
FIRSTLY I would suggest you to take some ANALGESIC +MUSCLE RELAXANT for about 4-5 days .
SECONDLY if pain still persists , & as the pain is acute/subacute , you need further investigations like MRI CERVICAL SPINE & NCCT BRAIN to rule out any lesion.

If all these investigations are normal , you may require some physiotherapy to relieve local muscle spasm etc.

Thanx
Hope this answers your querry .
Kindly feel free to ask any further querry .

Dr XXXXXXX k XXXXXXX
Director
Deptt. of neurosurgery