What causes pain and weakness in hand?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
MY PAIN STARTED SUDDENLY LAST EVENING IN MY RIGHT HAND PAIN AND SEVERE WEAKNESS--LOTS OF PAIN--HAND UNUSEABLE--DURNING THE NIGHT IT SPREAD INTO MY LEFT HAND--NOT AS SEVERE BUT WEAK AND VERY PAINFUL--I'M NOT ON ANY MEDICATION--HAVE NO ALLERGYS --DID NOT ENPEARIENCE ANY TRAMA TO EITHER HAND --OR ANY BODY PART
Posted Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nerve related pain.

Detailed Answer:
The sudden appearance of acute pain with no history of injury to the hand is likely to be due to a nerve related pain. This can happen due to a mild compression of the nerve root at the level of cervical vertebra.
You need to consult a neurologist for a detailed examination and to find out the exact site of lesion. Till then avoid using a pillow. You can also get pain killers and medicines like pregabalin prescribed from your physician for relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal