What causes pain and swelling on back and shoulder?

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist

Posted on Mon, 29 Dec 2014 in Lupus
Question: My husband complains of pain and swelling on the right side of his back, shoulder and neck area. When this flares up the pain goes down the right side of his back and right leg. It also runs up the right side of his head. He cannot sleep well and is tired and weak. When opening his mouth wide he hears cracking and popping in his right ear. His right testicle is tender and swollen too. Massage feels wonderful on his back and shoulder but does not take away the pain and tension. 1/2 year ago he had a prostate infection.
Answered by Dr. Naval Mendiratta 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need to rule out arthritis, could you give me a bit more information?

Detailed Answer:
Good evening

Thank you for writing on health care magic

I have gone through your history. Considering your husband’s age it is very important to rule out any form of arthritis which may be starting. I would like to ask a few queries before I can guide you further:

1. Duration of the symptoms? How much time has it been?

2. Is he able to turn position in the night?

3. How does he feel in the mornings? Does he feel better or is it morning stiffness?

4. Any pain on the left side

5. Any complaints of giddiness or nausea or tingling and numbness over the hands

6. Anyone in the family suffers from complaint of backache

7. Any other unusual symptoms you have noticed recently

8. Did you get any blood tests or x rays done?

As for the right testicular pain, you need to get an ultrasound done for the scrotal area. It does not look related to the symptoms of the pain he is experiencing on the remaining side of the body. But never the less, let me know these answers. If there is any relation to it, I would be able to tell you.

Do let me know these queries. Would be happy to guide you further

Dr naval

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Naval Mendiratta 27 hours later
1. extreme pain lasts a few days then slowly gets better
2. He can turn at night
3. pain is the same all day
4. no pain on left side
5. no giddiness or nausea occasional feeling of hand sleeping
6. mother had back pain
7. pain in the lower right side that worsened when touched (I could massage but not press too hard. Some spots around the shoulder blade are too but that is more common for him)
8. full blood work-up in the spring came back clear

He describes it as tight, like something is swollen inside on the whole right side. His nose even feels swollen on the right inside. After he eats he feels bloated like it could be gastro related...... Could it be stress related or depression related. The pain makes him tired and he feels like he can't remember stuff very well when he's in that much pain. Also does not like to take painkiller. He is 6 ft. and weighs 215 lb. Drives truck for a living. Work does not seem to make pain/swelling better or worse it just takes time till it lessens. 15 years ago had an ATV accident that dislocated the right shoulder.........
Answered by Dr. Naval Mendiratta 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Probably not an Inflammatory Arthritis, we need to look at other possibilities...

Detailed Answer:
Good evening,

Sorry for the delayed reply. Was caught up in hospital duties

Thanks for answering the questions. Considering the answers you have given, it doesn't look like an inflammatory arthritis, that is it doesn't look like something which is too serious and causing damage and inflammation in the joints.

The unusual part is the involvement of only one side of the body. It can very well be related to the stress or even the post traumatic stress disorder. In it, it does happen that patient is very irritable at times, short tempered and has a tendency to forget things. I am not too sure how his mood and temper here.

But having said that, i would like to do a few blood tests like CBC, ESR, CRP, Liver function tests, 25 hydroxy vitamin D 3 levels to rule out any underlying inflammation. If all those are clear, the symptoms could be attributed to stress. The management will differ for the same.

Do let me know for further queries

Would be happy to guide you further

regards
Dr Naval
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj