question-icon

What causes pain and stiffness in the legs, hips and knee joints?

Posted on Wed, 5 Sep 2018
Question: I had my thyroid removed in august 2017. the day after surgery i had due achy pain in both upper legs ( muscles and bones) and hip and knee joints also have severe stiffness effecting my walking I am not able to relive pain with aspirin or ibuprofen. my doctor does not seem to know why i have this. any direction i can pursue?
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni (53 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
EMG is necessary;

Detailed Answer:

The pain you described is not related to thyroid issues.

I think you have checked calcium level and it is within the normal ranges. You must be sure that the TSH level is within the normal ranges under levothyroxine treatment.

I would suggest to ask your physician about electromyography (an examination that gives information about neuromuscular disorders) and report the result.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Mirjeta Guni

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist