• question-icon

What causes pain and cold sensation in the index finger?

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hello, This is happening every night to me. Once I have fallen asleep. My right index finger becomes cold and becomes quite painful waking me out of a sound sleep. When this happens I try running warm water over it and also using a heating pad. It also seems that once I sit up that the sensation of cold and the throbbing pain subside. I was wondering if this is a pinched nerve? Needless to say this is not normal XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be due to pinched median nerve

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Your presentation seems to be consistent with median nerve compression. The median nerve supplies the first one and a half fingers and the sensation possibly extends to the half of the middle finger as well. In such a case it would be a good idea to visit a surgeon and to get yourself evaluated.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha