What causes orange colored stool post alcohol withdrawal?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Wed, 7 Sep 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My friend stopped drinking five days ago. Her poop was orange blossom yesterday. Today greyish
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possible bile obstruction.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

While I can provide more specific information if you provide more history (age, number of years drinking and amount, other health factors, medication, any abnormal lab tests, reason she quit drinking, if she has any pain and where), I can tell you this: Light colored stools, such as clay colored, can be due to inflammation or obstruction any where along the path where bile enters the small intestines. Usually the urine is a dark color when the stool color is light. Gall stones can cause an obstruction of the flow of bile from the liver out of the gall bladder. And liver inflammation, which can be from an infection, but can also be from excess alcohol use.

Without knowing the whole situation, I can suggest that she see her doctor for liver enzyme panel and bilirubin levels. If these are abnormal, the next step is an abdominal ultrasound, or a liver, gall bladder, and pancreas ultrasound.

I hope this information helps.