Suggest remedies for diarrhea, abdominal pain and chills caused by gastroenteritis

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 2 Mar 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Two days ago I had stomach pain (approaching severe) after eating fresh spinach sautéed with garlic in olive oil and butter and stopped eating for about 18 hours. Had a normal bowel movement. Felt better so yesterday started eating white toast, bits of banana, rice pudding, applesauce and last night more rice pudding, white unsalted crackers, toast, a slice of goat Gouda, Swiss cheese, pepper XXXXXXX cheese and olives. Today I ve had diarrhea about a dozen times between 11:30 am and 1 pm. Throughout all of this, stomach pain on Thursday and diarrhea today are preceded and accompanied by chills. Not sure about fever. Since September I have had two courses of antibiotics. I also have gall stones which have not been troublesome and residual liver damage from an old hepatitis c infection which has been successfully treated. Non drinker, non smoker, terrible diet. What should I do until I can call a doctor on Monday?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Its gastroenteritis.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns.

Most likely you are suffering from Gastroenteritis.It is an intestinal infection marked by diarrhoea, cramps, nausea, vomiting and fever.However all symptomscare not always there in every patient.Chills in your case is suggestive of active ongoing infection in blood or body.Most of the time its viral however in adults it can be bacterial or protozoal also.

Tests suggested are-
Ultra sound abdomen
Stool test under microscope
Complete blood count
Total and differential leucocyte count.

Rx
Drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration–You need to drink more than usual to replace the fluids lost from diarrhoea. Water is best, but you could also try fruit juice and soup.
Take dicyclomine an antispamodic.This would relieve the spasms in inflammed intestine and would help.
Get plenty of rest.
If you feel like eating, try small amounts of plain foods, such as soup, rice, pasta and bread.You could continue having BRAT diet as you had on day youhad loose motions,
Use special rehydration drinks made from sachets electral solution to maintain depleted electrolyte levels in serum.

Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T