What causes numbness with bloating and pale discoloured skin?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Tue, 12 Feb 2019 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: A friend has numbness in her arms and legs, bloated tummy, and is pale as a ghost. She is 17 and sometimes gets migraines.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Information

Detailed Answer:

People who get migraines (I am one too) can also sometimes have autonomic nervous system dysfunction that can cause some of these symptoms.

But given the constellation of symptoms, I think it is wise that she is going into the ER to be examined in person.

In the ER, request specifically for her to be seen by a physician and not by a PA or NP as this requires a higher level of knowledge than their training provides.

What I would do, based on these symptoms is the following:
recent history vitals (blood pressure, pulse, respiratory rate) - that she is pale, her blood pressure may be low.

Abdominal exam - there may be abnormal bowel sounds or specific localized pain that can give clues neurological exam - including sensation and perception.

Then, a complete blood count (looking for anemia, infection), and a chemistry/metabolic panel (to check electrolytes, liver enzymes, and other indices).

I would be happy to help explain whatever tests they are doing for her in the ER.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh, General & Family Physician