What causes numbness in the hands?

Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: My left hand feels numb, and my left arm is like pins and needles and sore. It has bothered me and kept me awake most of the night. My right hand is also pins and needles. My hands have been like this for about a month now, but never this bad. I am a white female, 57, 186 lbs, 5'6". I have no history of heart disease, I have low b.p. And walk 2 miles everyday.
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nerve conduction studies.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist, here to answer your query.

Numbness, pins and needles sensations in both hands may be indicative of neuropathy or carpal tunnel syndrome.A Neurological examination and nerve conduction studies will help in diagnosis.
Anxiety can cause such symptoms transiently but since they are present for 1 month now, hence are suggestive of nerve damage.

Further,Diabetes needs to be ruled out.ESR and CRP may be done to rule out active inflammation.

Next step here should be Nerve conduction studies.

Hope that helps.If you have some further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)