question-icon

What causes numbness in penis?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jul 2015
Question: i am 77 years old but very healgthy because of gym work 7 days a week---weight traing and cardio. But three weeks ago I came down with shingles. I had shingles when I was 21, and the lesions were moastly on my upper right trunk and chest. Now some 65 years later I got it and this time it was on my butt, my right inner and outer thigh, and into my pucbic region---scrotum and penis. now my penis is numb. No amount of manual stimulation works. hence it ramains flacid---impotent---and absent any feeling to speak of. I am taking Neurontin for the post herpetic symptoms but I am anxious ab out how long this condition is going to last. Prior to the shingles I masturbated every day.
Answered by Dr. Dr. Rahul Kumar (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
You will recover

Detailed Answer:
Hello
This numbness is due to involvement of nerve.
It usually takes one month for recovery.
There is nothing to worry, once your nerves heal, numbness will decrease.
It's good you are taking neurontin.
Take tablet methylcobalamine along with that.

This will help in faster recovery.

Let me know if you have any other doubt.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Dr. Rahul Kumar

Dermatologist