• question-icon

What causes numbness and heaviness in eyes?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Hi. I started having a numb/heaviness in the outside corner of my left eye, with similar sensation in the corner of my jaw. I can open and close my eyes well smile the same. Should I be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Considerations

Detailed Answer:
Hello & thank you for submitting your question.

Your symptoms are concerning for an acute neurologic process. Please report to your nearest emergency department for a full physical examination and assessment. It is essential to rule out an acute process, neurologic or cardiovascular. These symptoms may also represent inflammation involving one of the cranial nerves, which is also a condition that should be assessed and treated by a physician, since left unchecked it may have the potential to develop into severe pain or permanent neurologic damage. However, any sudden and non-resolving numbness should always be checked out in person by a doctor.

I hope you will be able to seek care immediately.

Yours in good health,
Dr Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist