• question-icon

What causes muscle stiffness and spasms while on Cyclobenzaprine?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I take cyclobenzaprine 10mg. I ran out of my medication. I have been taking this medication for muscle spasms and stiffness. It was not refilled today because my doctor is out of town. So another doctor at my clinic was suppose to refill it but did not. I have been on this medicine for several years. Am I going to go thru withdrawal symtoms? I take 3 pills every day.

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Withdrawal unlikely. Please mention the present complaints.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query carefully and understand your concerns. Cyclobenzaprine is a muscle relaxant and unlikely to give you withdrawal.

However, for a definitive answer, I would need to know the symptoms that you are currently having and the symptoms that you otherwise used to have earlier. I do not suppose that continuing cyclobenzaprine for long is a good idea. Rather, the underlying cause needs to be evaluated.

I would insist you to take juicy fruits like citrus fruits. They contain plenty of potassium which should help in proper relaxation of the muscles and in the reduction of the cramps.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 11 hours later
I take the medicine for arthritis. And stiff joints and muscles. I will eat fruits with potassium. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Glad to be of service

Detailed Answer:
Feel free to ask me back directly if you ever have a health related query in the future.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha