• question-icon

What causes muscle cramps in the legs and hands?

Posted on Fri, 11 Aug 2017 in General Health
Question: I am a pretty active, healthy 54yo female.
Over the last few years, I feel like I am losing muscle strength, I have tightness in my legs, especially calves, and hamstrings, foot cramping. I also have lumps at the insertion sites of muscle to bone. When I have brought this up w/ my doctor, I get the response that I am a runner and this leads to tightness and the lumps are nothing to worry about. I have decreased my running substantially to 10 miles/ week. (I ran 3 marathons in 2015). I feel like I have some sort of neuromuscular condition which is making me toe walk more/ changing my gait, run slower, and not recover well from exercise. I take Ca/ Mag/ Vit D. Multi vitamin; turmeric. Also, I mostly wear sneakers b/c I feel like wearing any other shoes aggravates my feet and calf tightness. Is there a disease that can cause these symptoms?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Tear of muscle fibres seems to be the problem.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. It seems that you could have developed some small tears in muscle fibres. The muscle fibres then retract to form small a lump called ganglion. Such things can often be seen in runners if the overstrain themselves. You could also have developed an electrolyte imbalance. I would insist you to take juicy fruits like citrus fruits. They contain plenty of potassium which should help in proper functioning of the muscles.

Let me know if I could help further.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha