What causes muffled hearing, ear pain, fullness in the ear, tinnitus and dizziness?

Dr. Harish Naik

Posted on Wed, 7 Sep 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My ears seem blocked and my hearing has deteriorated. I consulted a physician about two weeks ago and she told me to take Mucinex D twice daily. I have done so but my ears are the same. They click when I swallow when I eat or drink. I do not have wax build up according to the doctor.
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Eustachian tube blockade, nasal decongestant, valsalva manoeuvre

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome.
I have gone through your query.

I would like to know are you having cold, sinusitis, sore throat?
Is there any discharge from ear?

Based on the information provided by you, I feel your symptoms are due to blocked eustachian tube.

The eustachian tube connects the back of the nose to the inside of the ear. It gets frequently blocked when there is a cold because of its proximity to the nose. This tube mainatains atmospheric pressure inside the ear.

Blockage of this tube results or presents with the symptoms that you have mentioned. I would start you on decongestant nose drops like otrivin. Instill 3 drops in each nostril 3 times daily for not more than 5 days and always follow it up with steam inhalation with few drops of eucalyptus oil in it. I would also suggest you to drink plenty of warm water. You can blow balloons and chew gum also to unblock the tube. You can also try Valsalva manoeuvre, procedure can be seen in YouTube.
Try this measures you should be fine.
Hope this helps
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Harish Naik 6 hours later
Thank you. I'll try your suggestions.
Cordially, XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Welcome take care

Detailed Answer:
Welcome.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar