What causes mucus in stool in a child?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Have a 10 year old nephew, who has experienced mucus in hi stool. It has been told to be on course of Bactrim, his mother did not follow through. A second antibiotic was offered and taken for ten days. Results were questionable and follow up was not followed through. This has been going on for nearly six months. The mucus in the stool has increased and and appears daily. The live on a ranch, live a self sustaining existence . Meaning all meat product, and dairy. The mother has now to finally to see a GI specialist, since their GP has not persuade this. Since I am a nurse this is great concern.

Is there anything you can suspect???
Thank you,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Following tests advised next,

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,

I have gone through the medical history of the child you have been talking and can say as following:

As the child is having mucus in the stool for 6 months now, that is not getting better with antibiotics, it is time to get further tests:
- stool examination for ova parasites
- stool culture for Candida, bacteria
- complete blood count
- food intolerance test
- abdominal ultrasound

From what you are reporting, it seems that Candida overgrowth is possible diagnosis to confirm.

However, I want to also know the current clinical symptoms and complaints the patient is having apart mucus in stool.

Thank you.
Dr.Albana