Suggest treatment for persistent diarrhea

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Wed, 13 Sep 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have had constant diarrhea for 5 weeks regardless of what I eat. I can control it with Imodium for two or three days, but as soon as I stop it comes back.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please, get consulted!

Detailed Answer:

I have reviewed your information fully. This is chronic diarrhea and certainly needs to be investigated. The fact that it doesn't change with any diet means it is unlikely to be caused by food intolerance. I think poor absorption or poor digestion is responsible for this. I am less convinced about an infection though it remains a possibility.

To get this addressed, I will suggest you get a stool exam done. This will tell us for sure what is going on. The preliminary findings will inform us on what pathway to further explore to pinpoint the cause and address fully.

For now, drink much fluid to avoid dehydration and continue with imodium until you get to see your doctor for examination and testing. On another note, have you had your screening colonoscopy as recommended?

I hope this guides and helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.