What causes metallic taste in the mouth while on Klonopin and Atenolol?

Dr. Neha Sumra

Dentist

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Dental Health
Question: For the past several months I have had a metallic taste in my mouth and it will not go away. I thought that a broken tooth with an exposed silver cavity was the cause of it. Although, today, I had e temporary crown put in place and the metallic taste is still there. I have taken Klonopin and Atenolol for over 15 years so I do not think it is a prescription drug that is causing the taste. I have been going through a tough divorce recently and there has been extra anxiety associated with the divorce. When I put my tongue up near the tooth that just got repaired I can feel the metallic taste much more than any other part of my mouth. If you could give me some idea of whatthis might be I would be very grateful. Thanks, xxx
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
most likely Parageusia, can be due to drugs or leaky filling

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing in.

As per your symptoms and history, you are having Parageusia that can occur due to many reasons such as:

- poor oral hygiene
- sinus problem
- prescription medications
- metallic restoration
- an overdose of vitamin
- infection
- cancer treatment

But in your case, you are on long-term prescription medicines, which might be a cause. Though your old silver filling has got a temporary crown but still some amount of silver might be remaining, which can be another reason.

Hence you need to ask your physician to change your medication or give you alternate salt. Also, go for permanent crown to get proper coverage of that tooth. You can also chew sugar-free gums and mints to avoid bad taste.

please discuss these with your physician.
Hope I answered your query.

Wishing you a good health
Feel free to ask further

Kind regards
Dr. Neha Sumra

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee