• question-icon

What causes lump behind the ear?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: 14 year old grandchild
Girl has small bump behind ear
Not on the ear
Her dr out all week
She is worried about it
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Bumps behind the ear can be from small benign cysts, lipomas (benign fatty collections), and from lymph nodes that are inflamed or enlarged due to increased drainage in the region (such as with allergies).

Most bumps behind the ear are benign and not worrisome, but any solitary bump should be checked out.

If her doctor is gone all week, she can go to an urgent care clinic, but it is important to make sure her parents specifically request a physician when she is checked in at the reception desk. Otherwise at some places, they save money by using physician assistant's and nurse practitioners and these providers have limited medical knowledge.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh