What causes low sperm volume?
provide more details, following are general causes
Thanks for writing to us.
Low sperm volume can be due to many of the reasons. Treatment depends on the cause.
- Low testosterone is one of the common causes
- Other factors are anatomical in which obstruction in pathway of semen exit and Retrograde ejaculation(in which sometime no ejaculation)
- Some drugs and medical conditions also can be the cause
- As age progresses volume of semen decreases
- Problem in prostate gland (it is associated with urinary symptoms sometime)
Let me know relevant information from above causes if anything is there in your case.
Also tell that since when are you having such problem,how much amount of semen is ejaculated per act and your frequency of sex?
Waiting for your reply to help you further.
I havnt been on any drug that i can suspect. I am very healthy.
I dont know about postrate gland either.
Frequency of sex is typically twice a week and i am not impressed with the quantity (volume) os sperm that looks like tea-spoon quantity! Which gets even worse when i have sex more frequently.
Also the cum can be very prolonged in the second attempt. Is there a drug or other means to boost the quantity? I am 46 and very energetic
you probabaly do not have any problem, it is just your concern
Thanks for follow up.
The average volume of semen produced at ejaculation is 2 to 5ml(range 1 to 10 ml). Volumes consistently less than 1.5ml (hypospermia) or more than 5.5ml (hyperspermia) are probably abnormal. 1 tea spoon amounts almost 5 ml.So from this criteria your semen production is absolutely normal.
Your desire is very well that means no testosterone abnormality and you are overall healthy and energetic so no chances of any problem with sperm producing organs.
Naturally second attempt immediately after first would be prolonged. Most men experience a refractory period immediately following an orgasm, during which time they are unable to achieve another erection, and a longer period again before they are capable of achieving another ejaculation. During this time a male feels a deep and often pleasurable sense of relaxation, usually felt in the groin and thighs. The duration of the refractory period varies considerably, even for a given individual. Age affects the recovery time, with younger men typically recovering faster than older men. Normal range is 20-40 minutes and as age progresses duration increases.
There is no specific medicine which can increase quantity of semen.
There are some natural lifestyle measures which help to improve blood flow to penis and overall sexual performance and may help to produce more semen.
- The most important factor is healthy heart. Blood is pumped in to body by heart.So regular exercise and avoidance of fatty fast food are important measures to prevent heart disease. Regular walking, swimming or running overall improves blood flow to whole body circulation including penis and keep the mind fresh.
- Good healthy food is also an important aspect. Bananas, Garlic, dry fruits(they contains vitamins), eggs, cow milk, cow butter are good food which may help in erectile dysfunction and in semen production.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol. Low amount of alcohol can help in increasing blood flow but more amount can cause opposite effects. So better to avoid the same.
Reduction of frequency of sex can cause more storage of semen. Due to excessive accumulation of semen in seminal vesicles since last sex semen will come out in more quantity during ejaculation.
In conclusion I do not think that you have any medical problem related to semen production.
Hope this answer clarifies your doubts.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Cause of low sperm progression
- What causes low sperm count and weak sperms
- What causes leukocytes in sperm
- What causes low sperm count and mortality rate
- Mastrabution cause low sperm
- What causes low sperm motility
- What causes low sperm morphology
- What causes clumpy sperm
- Low sperm count causes
- What causes low sperm count