What causes low diastolic pressure in an elderly patient?

Dr. Meriton Siqeca

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi Dr. XXXXXXX
I am 80 years old and my bloodpressure is around 113 over 40 since a couple of days.
I had a mild stroke a year ago.
Answered by Dr. Meriton Siqeca 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Some cardiac tests are recommended

Detailed Answer:
Greetings, Sir! Welcome to HCM and thank you for your question. I understand your concern.

Although, generally, it is normal that diastolic (lower) blood pressure react more to medication at your age, these figures are found in the physiological aging process. Also, nifedipine and other calcium channel blockers tend to lower the diastolic blood pressure. Therefore, I would recommend you to consult with your cardiologist/general physician to switch nifedipine to an other class of drugs.

Even with all these said, I would also recommend two cardiac tests, since these findings may be also related to the heart:
- an EKG - to assess the heart's electrical and conduction systems during rest
- an echo cardiogram - to assess the structural, motility and size means of the heart chambers and valves. Also, during physiological aging process, valves tend to get calcified and an aortic regurgitation may be found (which would especially explain the gap between systolic and diastolic pressures).

I hope to have been of help. Feel free to ask follow up questions. I would be happy to help.

Best regards,
Dr. Meriton
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee