What causes low appetite in an infant?

Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: my 15 month old daughter is'nt eating any solid food. all she likes to have is milk and ceriel. she hasnt started walking by her self. she walks with support only. she used to have solids a few months back. but after my visit to XXXXXXX last month she completely stopped eating the stuff she used to have earlier and ha not shown any improvement in her walking either. please help with suggestions and remedies. oh and she was dianosed with anemia in XXXXXXX so we have started giving her iron suppliments along with multi vitamins.
Answered by Dr. Arun 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
need to cut down milk

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for writing to health care magic.
The few possibilities why your child is not eating well maybe,
A) anemia. Anemia decreases appetite. Cows milk is not good for anemia. It may be the trigger in some patients for anemia. Restrict cows milk intake to maximum twice a day. Continue iron and multivitamins.
B) change in environment. This should improve in next few months.
C) over dependence on milk. Again you need to give all home made foods. Eat together as a family. Get a small plate and let her eat on her own.
Add oil and ghee to each feed.
Wishing good health
Dr Arun
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Arun 25 minutes later

how can I substitute Cow's milk? does Enflamel Milk powder work as a good substitute? she goes to the day care and i have packed button idly's, papaya, gerber chicken n pasta dinner, tomato soup, yogurt and some crackers.

spoke to the day care provider and she said she hasnt eaten her break fast but took cerial and milk. and will try on her foods now, but if she doesnt the option is cerial and milk again.

i am really concerned with this routine, i am running out of ideas.

also please suggest if there are any exercises that we need her to do to help increase her appitite and leg strength. she hasnt started walking and that concerns me further. spoke to her pediatrician, and they suggested to take her to our county infants and toddlers program. i am not very comfortable with the idea. need your opinion on this matter too.

Thanks and Regards
XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Arun 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you can

Detailed Answer:
You can substitute with enfamil.
Try all forms of foods before going back to milk and cereal.
It may take a few months to change the diet pattern.
No special exercises required. However check the calcium and vitamin d levels too if her legs are not strong enough to support walking.
You need to follow your pediatrician advice regarding the county program.