What causes low BP while on low doses of Hydrochlorothiazide?

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 13 Sep 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: recently increased valsartan from 80mg(have taken for past 10 years with good results) to 160mg after period of higher than normal bp.Also have takenHYDROCHLOROTHIAZIDE 25MG FOR YEARS WITH GOOD RESULTS.EVER SINCE THIS MOVE BP HAS BEEN LOW 100 TO 105/63.MD cut hydrochlorothazide bak to 12.5mg.Yet, still getting low bp .ANY IDEAS?
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Following advice

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read your query and understood your concerns.

The BP is in the lower range of norm (99-106/65 mmHg) due to summer climmate. Please keep in mind that during the summer due to water and electrolyte depletion the BP has a tendence to go low.

Moreover the increase of dose (of antihypertensive medication) will make that your BP will go further low.

If you were my patient I would recommend to continue with actual dose (valsartan 160 mg and hydrochlorthyazide 12.5 mg) for 3-5 days. If the BP will be low again you should stop diuretics.

Hope this will be of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu