What causes loose stool and sleeplessness in a new born baby?

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Child Health
Question: my baby boy is 7 days old now. and he is crying a lot today. He is being fed properly. He is passing loose stools also since morning. He is unable to sleep properly. Everytume he gets to sleep, he is getting disturbed sleep. He moves while sleeping too. Please advise what should be done.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most likely normal for this age

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for choosing this platform

Pattern of newborn's stool is different from older children and adult.
Newborn after birth passes black,sticky,tarry stool for 2-4 days.Then stool becomes greenish or greenish brown which is little loose in consistency called Transitional stool.
This transitional stool persists for 4-6 days.After that the stool color changes to yellow,light green or brown with more liquid consistency.This stool may contains some particles (curd like)sometimes with acidic smell.
Passage of stool immediately after feed is normal in this age and that is called gastrocolic reflex.
Babies of this age have little control over bowel and bladder (causes frequent stool and urine may be upto 7-10 times a day).
Sleep pattern is also irregular in this age as they have just came out of womb and the sleep cycle is not well established. It may take 2-3 months for the babies to get their sleep pattern like older children.
Similarly movement during sleep and crying is normal in this age.
I won't get worried if baby is not crying persistently for more than 2 hours,accepting feeds well, there is no vomiting and baby is active and playful.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more query.
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 2 hours later
Thanks Dr. There is 1 more issue we are facing. My baby is not taking breastfeed directly. I have to express it and then feed him using spoon. This is really cumbersome. Please suggest how to feed him directly.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get assistance from a nurse

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up

Most common causes of difficulty in breast feed when the milk production is sufficient are poor attachment,improper positioning or any bresst related problem.If baby is not accepting direct breastfeeding one should check whether the attachment and positioning is proper or not.Also retracted nipple or other breast problem should be checked.
I won't get worried as the baby is accepting expressed breast feed well.
I would suggest you to take assistance from a nurse so that she can check whether the positioning of baby and attachment to the breast is proper or lot.