• question-icon

What causes light yellow vaginal discharge?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: about 8 years ago i started having a light yellow discharge coming out my urethra---over the years the color has changed to light to medium brown. i have had them go up into my bladder, i've been to urologists, ob/gyn's and they say that nothing seems to be wrong---one said it was "just the way a women is made" that they have discharges. i often have UTI's and i am afraid that this could lead to something more serious, etc. what do you think might be my problem. the discharge is like a sticky substance. my last urologist prescribed antibiotics for 6 months. i took them for only 3 months as i got afraid i would get immune to them. taking the antibiotics did not solve the problem. i would appreciate any advice you could give me. i am 73 years old.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Is this discharge offensive? Do you require a pad not to get wet?

Detailed Answer:
HI and thank you so much for this query.

It is true that women are made to have discharges form the vagina. This is however of small volumes necessitating no padding and it is not offensive. The color is usually cream white. If this closely fits what you are experiencing, then be calm and this is normal. If this is not, I will recommend that you get a culture of this discharge to tell what the exact problem is. If the culture is sterile and no other explanation is obtained, then there is really nothing to be concerned about further as potential consequences of this.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.

Dr. Chobufo Ditah