What causes leg cramps?

Dr. Ravi Bansal

Nephrologist

Posted on Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Question: leg cramps indicate- water and electrolyte imbalance. - you have to test for blood levels of vit D, Calcium, Phosphorus, Sodium and Potassium.
Is INBALANCE "usually" due to insuffiency of above or too much??
very foamy urine indicated protein loss in urine or urine infection- can be confirmed by urine routine examination"
Would be too much or too little protein in diet??
I have 15% function
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
dietary protein in Kidney disease

Detailed Answer:

Leg cramps are usually due to deficiency of potassium, water or calcium, very high phosphorus levels cn cause muscle pain and weakness. PTH- parathyroid hormone excess also leads to muscular weakness.

Protein loss in urine > 1gm/24 hrs urine collection can lead to frothy urine. Dietary protein intake will not affect urine excretion of protein. urine excretion of protein is a function of kidney damage. Diet protein should be 0.8gm/kg/day

15% function or a gfr of 15 ml is quite low.

The decision for dialysis will depend on the fact that whether you have any symptoms like poor appetite, weakness and breathlessness on exersion. If symptoms are present dialysis should be started .

Best wishes.