What causes leakage from the left side of mini face lift?

Dr. Gaurav Katiyar

Posted on Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I had a XXXXXXX face life 3 weeks ago. the right side is healing fine but the left side I have some sort of leakage, on top of that it throbs in my cheek and behind my ear. I saw the doctor yesterday but he said it was fine and didn't see any leakage. But I do have leakage and now it is throbbing and some bluishness below the ear. what do I do? please help
Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Chances of infection.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your query.
XXXXXXX face lift requires long incision over both the cheeks and chin. It heal properly but sometimes there may be some post - operative infections.

Complain of leakage and throbbing pain suggests that there might be some infection. Since it is a common complication of surgery, there is no need to worry.

Following measures can be taken:

You can do a proper dressing of the site of leakage with diluted anti-septic lotion.

Don't try to pinch the site.

Oral antibiotic for a week can be started after getting prescription from your treating doctor.

Oral NSAID like ibuprofen can be taken instead of Tylenol. Referred pain behind the ear is due to nerve involvement so ibuprofen will do some help.

Visit your doctor again and get it inspected carefully.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Dr. G. Katiyar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj