What causes large red blood cells?
Noted your concern.
Your doctor would have got the clue about large rood blood cells from your CBC. It would have shown a high value of MCV ( mean corpuscular volume). This happen due to various reasons.
2.Vitamin B12 deficiency
3.Folic acid deficiency
4. Some heavy metal poisoning
5.Some particular types of anemias.
You did mention that you dont take alcohol. How low was your Vit B12 value. If it was low, that could be the reason. Even if you take Vit B12 injections, it may take a while to correct it. Colitis could be contributing to Vitamin b12 deficiency.
You may need a peripheral smear test, LDH, Serum folate levels for further evaluation.
Would your advice be to continue on with my fusion surgery?
My pleasure. I hope I answered your question. Happy to answer more if you have any more question. But if there is none, may I request you to close the discussion.
Wish you good luck with the surgery and have a smooth recovery
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes red blood cells in sperm
- Cause for odor and red blood cells in the urine
- Immature red blood cells causes
- Enlarged red blood cells causes
- Seizures caused by low red blood cells
- Decreased red blood cell count causes
- Microcytic red blood cells causes
- What cause low red blood cell count in elderly people
- High red blood cells causes
- Low red blood cells causes