What causes lack of energy and focus after taking opiates?

Dr. Matt Wachsman

Addiction Medicine Specialist

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Pain Management
Question: i have to take opiates for chronic pain. lack of energy and focus has been a bad side effect. is there anything that will help me.
Answered by Dr. Matt Wachsman 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
could be worse....

Detailed Answer:
while 5% of people have the opposite response to narcotics (from the Greek for "Lack of energy and focus") HALF of the people I'm treating for addiction have increased energy and focus from them. Having the opposite response to the one that you are having is a risk for addiction.

Then, besides addiction there is getting "Used to them" tolerance. Takes weeks to months, and lowers the energy problem. There is also lowering the dose until there is pain. The pain increases alertness in most people. It is a trade off.

Then... exercise, physical therapy, massage, chiropracty would be the more usual answer and they certainly do work in multiple ways. One of the ways is taht there can not only be tolerance to the narcotic side effects, and tolerance to the narcotic helpful effects, there can also be tolerance to the pain itself. This would overcome most of the problems. sorry.