What causes itchy red transient eruptions over body?

Dr. Charu Bansal

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello I am on a 2 year journey of skin issues, severe itching and discomfort. It has been suggested the removal of my gall bladder could be a factor. Gall bladder surgery-06/2013 hives began 10/2013. Had been attributing it to stress at the time. But am now out of the situation. Have been to a rheumatologist and been tested for RA and lupus because of a positive ANA. Everything came back normal. Any thoughts?Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Charu Bansal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
chronic Urticaria is most likely possibility

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Welcome to Healthcaremagic.com. I have read your query. I understand your concern.
As per details, it seems that you are suffering from a condition called Urticaria. Urticaria is an allergic condition of skin characterised by itchy red colored transient eruptions over body. The rash comes and stays for minutes to hours and disappears to reappear after sometime. It can be caused by allergy to recent infection, any food, seasonal change, drugs, pollen grains etc. Gall bladder surgery as a surgical trauma /stress may act as triggering factor. In your case, it is now Chronic Urticaria. It may be to any food, dust, dirt, water, any cosmetic etc.
I would like to advise you following investigations :
1 ) Thyroid profile
2) Absolute Eosinophil count
3) IgE levels
4) Liver function tests
5) Kidney function test
If no cause is found, it is labelled as Chronic Idiopathic Urticaria.
In such cases, I prefer to advise a combination of levocetrizine and montelukast to my patients. In non responding, consideration is given to start oral XXXXXXX pulse therapy of steroids.
Visit your doctor so that he can examine you may order tests for you. You can share my opinion with him. I hope it helps. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Charu Bansal 2 hours later
Dr Bansal,
Thank you for your quick response. I appreciate the recommendations, they are a fresh perspective and hopefully will have some answers for me. It has been a very frustrating 2 years with no complete remission.
I will share your advice with my family doctor.
Thank you again and best regards,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Charu Bansal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
its my pleasure to help you here

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Welcome back.
Its my pleasure to help you here. In future also, if you have any further query, you may ask directly to me here by tagging my name alongwith your query. I would be happy to help you.
Stay healthy.