What causes itchy and stretched skin, dry mouth and breathing problem?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 4 Jun 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I'm having problems with my skin. My skin appears to be stretched. It used to itch more when it was less sever. It has been getting worse over the last few years. My legs are the worst but my entire body has been affected. I have trouble breathing but it doesn't appear to be asthma related. I have a bitter taste in my mouth, mouth always feel dry. My eyes burn especially in the morning which causes the skin around my eyes to burn. I've also been having nerve issues.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
I suggest a few blood tests

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I am dr.kakkar(dermatologist). I have gone through your query and i have noted your concern.

The constellation of symptoms i.e skin feeling taut/ stretched skin, dry mouth, nerve involvement, pulmonary symptoms need to be investigated as they can be due to a connective tissue disorder like scleroderma, sjogrens syndrome, mixed connective tissue disease etc

Do you have any other symptoms like joint pain?oral ulcers?muscle weakness?

I suggest a few lab tests like ANA, RA factor, blood counts, ESR, CRP, Urine routine and urine protein etc

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 24 minutes later
I have chronic fatigue, a sluggish digestive system and my skin has defiantly gotten tighter. My pupils have perminantly restricted some. My veins are vericose all over my body. Newly I have cold hands and feet especially when I first wake up. My fingers are numb when I wake up. I seem to have inflamation or pressure in my body. I started off having muscle twitches that resulted in a pressure feeling.

I took prednisone 2 weeks ago because I was having trouble breathing and my skin has gotten worse. It feels tighter in certain places and I have gotten rashes and skin irritations. When I get in the morning my eye lids look tight then they release some as the day goes on.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Eczematous dermatitis; Use a potent topical steroid cream for rash on hands

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Thank you. I have reviewed the Images.
I can see an eczmatous rash on hands.
I sugggest you to use a potent topical steroid cream for it e.g clobetasol propionate % cream (Tenovate cream), twice daily. This would make it fine withing 2-3 weeks.
Also use a moisturizer for you entire body e.g vaseline body lotion.
In addition you may take a tablet of cetrizine 10 mg once daily for symptomatic relief from itching.
For rest of your symptoms I suggest you to follow up with an internal medicine specialist.