What causes irregular periods with spotting despite not being on medications?

Question
Hello, last Wednesday (6th December) I started ‘spotting’. I am still spotting however it is less visible. I had intercourse last night and after that I was bleeding heavily, I thought it was my period. I’ve woken up this morning and there is nothing but a tiny bit of spotting. My periods have been irregular this year. My last period was 27th September - 3rd October. I’m not on any medications and I have no other medical history.
Mon, 14 May 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Polycystic ovarian disease (PCOD) could be a possible cause

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. I understand that your periods have been irregular and that could be linked to the spotting. Nevertheless, I would insist you to visit a gynecologist and to get an ultrasonogram of lower abdomen done to rule out PCOD. Being on low dose hormonal pills would possibly help.

Let me know if I could help further.