What causes irregular periods after getting wedded?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Wed, 9 Sep 2015 in Women's Health
Question: Hello
I had irregular periods soon after the marriage. I got the period 8 days late one month after the marriage. I consulted the doctor and they said it is due to hormonal changes. They asked me to take Duoluton L tablets for 3 months. After 3 months, period got regular ie.,28 days. After 2 to 3 regular periods, I got the period for 23 days. Next month onwards again it got regular for 2 to 3 months. Now this month I got the periods after 45 days.
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hormonal disturbances should be ruled out

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear, I have gone through your question and understand your concerns. Irregular periods are mostly due to hormonal disturbances like hypothyroidism, hyperprolactemia or polycystic ovarian disease.
Doluton is a oral contraceptive pill which will regulate the periods till the time you take it. However, this does not cures the underlying problems.
I would suggest you to get your hormonal profile done including thyroid hormone levels, prolactin levels and an ultrasound to detect polycystic ovaries or any other pathology in the uterus and ovaries. Further management should be done accordingly.
You can get back to me with the reports by asking a direct question to me on the health care magic portal.
Hope you found the answer helpful.Please do get back for further queries.
Dr Deepti Verma
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 17 minutes later
Thanks dear doctor. Blood, urine and thyroid tests are done and the results are normal.
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Weight and height

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear, thanks for responding.
You need to get the following investigations done:
1. T3, T4 and TSH levels
2. Serum Prolactin
3. Ultrasound pelvis
Also do tell me your weight and height (in cms) so that the BMI can be calculated and I can give you further advice.
Dr Deepti Verma