What causes intensive itching in both the legs?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Intensive itching in both legs
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Answer few questions

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at healthcaremagic
I would like to ask you few questions:
What is the duration of itching?
Is it associated with any rash? If yes kindly upload the pictures of the affected areas.
Are you having any other ailments or taking any medicines?
Are you having history of dry skin or eczema?
Kindly revert with the answers.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 16 hours later
The itching is permanent. I have dry skin.
The skin in legs and back reddens like a rash. (I have no means to take a photo)
I take Omeprazole because of hiatal hernia.
Inhalers for COPD.
Aspirin for the heart.
I am an 81 year old male.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cortisone cream, moisturising lotion & Cetrizine tab

Detailed Answer:
Itching can be related to senile pruritus or eczema.
If I was your treating doctor I would recommend you to apply cortisone cream on the affected areas twice daily followed by liberal application of a moisturising lotion containing white soft paraffin on the entire legs 2-3 times in a day.
Also take antihistaminic like tablet Cetrizine 10 mg twice daily for itching.
Besides this avoid soap for bathing, instead use soap free cleanser, use lukewarm water for bathing instead of hot water, avoid direct contact of woollen clothes with the legs.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng