• question-icon

What causes increased heart rate and numbness in the left shoulder after eating?

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Mental Health
Question: I have tachycardia and anxiety / panic disorder. The past 2 days I have had episodes of fast heart rate with numbness or burning sensation in my left shoulder and down to my left elbow. theses episodes seem to happen after eating. I take atenolol for the tachycardia and have had to take a hydroxyzine to calm myself down when this happens. Should I be concerned that it is heart related or is it more my panic disorder?
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most likely it's anxiety

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HealthcareMagic.

I can understand your concern. Your EKG came normal and a cardiologist opinion revealed nothing so we can easily rule out heart condition. You had sudden onset palpitations which are most probably related to anxiety.

Atenolol a beta blocker drug can enter brain and this is the reason you got relief. So remain relaxed this is anxiety only.

Thanks and Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist